Sunday 24 January 2010

Carmelized onion and rosemary muffins

Everything. Everything in the cupcake book. Needs to be doubled. That's what I'm learning.

Alas, not early enough to save these almost-tasty little morsels.

This recipe calls for 1 lb. of caramelized onions, chili powder and cornmeal. I'd never caramelized onions before so that was the first step. This is what I now know: 1.) Put in contacts. 2.) Use a sharp knife. We cry because the knife is smashing onion cells which release the gas to which our eyes react. A sharp knife slices through the cells more easily and avoids smashing them. 3.) Have a friend cut half the onion. Actually, Alton Brown suggests cutting onions underwater. This seems like a good idea but really? How does that work out logistically? 4.) Caramelizing onions takes a loooonnnnggggg time. 15-20 minutes. Here is a picture of my beautiful onions:


Aren't they beautiful!?


After caramelizing the onions, the rest of the recipe is straightforward. Chop the rosemary, mix with eggs, cornmeal, a little flour, some baking powder, the chili powder etc. etc. The muffins have a nice little kick of chili at the end but are otherwise very subtle.

Next time I make these muffins, I'm going to double the onions, throw in some extra chili and rosemary and see how that goes.

Mostly I'm just proud of my onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment