Wednesday 7 July 2010

9.) Banana muffins (no recipe)

That's right, it finally happened. I made something - no, I baked something without a recipe.

This morning, I wandered down to the kitchen and what do I see? A lone banana, sadly turning black, becoming mushy, and languishing next to the coffeepot. What's a girl to do? I prefer green bananas that fight back when I eat them raw, so really? Should I suffer through that squishy fruit? Or throw it out and lament its loss? Or should I. . .no, don't be silly. I mean, I could. . . couldn't I? A couple eggs, some baking powder . . . no. . . yes, well ok - let's try!

Some butter in a bowl, cream into it the amount of sugar that looks kind of right, add two eggs, some baking powder (how much? I don't know, a pinch more), then flour until the consistency is correct. Smash the banana with a fork against a cutting board (or plate or what-have-you) until it resembles baby food, then add to mix. Season with cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Ladle the mixture (here's hoping!) into your new Flexipan, stick in a preheated oven (170 C or thereabouts).

Make coffee.

Do dishes.

Drink coffee.

Let the cat in.

And lo and behold, eat warm, delicious, made-from-scratch banana muffins for breakfast. Needless to say, it's the beginning of a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment